The stat says it all: in Singapore, there are about 260,000 women aged 25 to 64 outside the labour force.
This figure was revealed by Singapore Manpower Minister Tan See Leng at a panel discussion earlier in May this year.
Clearly, with a tight labour market, and a need to revitalise the Singapore economy in the aftermath of Covid-19, the government is keen to help every local willing and ready to rejoin the workforce.
But of course, everyone has their reasons for taking time off a career. Minister Tan believes that perhaps the future of work will also be more suitable for Singaporeans who have had various reasons for staying out of the workforce.
He said: “I think the next key disruption is going to be flexible work arrangements. The Manpower Ministry, together with the tripartite partners, has developed these standards.
“We hope that everyone will support this and eventually, in about a year from now, we(…) will be able to come up with some guidelines.
“So if you add the two groups (including 120,000 Singapore residents aged 65 to 69 outside our labour force) together with an emboldened, enlightened and optimised flexible work arrangement, we have potentially close to 400,000 people coming back to the workforce.
“Think about how that will power our economy and our industries!”
Workipedia by MyCareersFuture looked through our jobs portal site to pull out seven common roles with flexible employers.
These roles range from temporary or part-time to full time. They could suit women looking to return back to the workforce, which industries they’d be in, and what work they’d be doing.
Good luck with your job search!
Outdoor Events & Marketing Officer
What the job description said: “Liaising with performers, appointed contractors and government agencies, as well as ensure all records are properly and accurately maintained and submitted.”
Industry: Corporate services
- Organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Communication and interpersonal skills.
- Negotiation skills when looking for the best price from venues, suppliers and contractors.
- Time-management skills and the ability to work under pressure to ensure the efficient running of an event.
- Project management experience
What the job description said: “Assist to manage sales and applications for products in company.”
Industry: Sales and business development
- Creative thinking
- Problem-solving and practical
- Strong teamwork and decision-making
- Good organisational and time management skills
Digital Marketing Consultant
What the job description said: “Assist in company’s social media and clients’ social media.”
Industry: Marketing and Communications
- Sound knowledge of lead generation
- Digital marketing tools, social media platforms, and SEO best practices
- The ability to analyse large amounts of data
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Outstanding organisational and time management skills
What the job description said: “Create a secure and quality learning environment for children through fostering meaningful relationships with them, and supporting their holistic development with the curriculum.”
Industry: Early Childhood
- Engaging classroom presence
- Value in real-world learning
- Exchange of best practices
- Lifelong love of learning
What the job description said: “Performing food preparation according to standard operating procedures, as well as kitchen safety and hygiene measures.”
Industry: Food & Beverage
- Genuine passion
- Organisational skills
- Time management
- Teamwork and leadership skills
Admin and Logistic Support
What the job description said: “To support events teams in preparing and issuing collaterals, and assisting in data preparation and logistics for events.”
Industry: Information and communications technology
- Ability to see the big picture
- Calm under pressure
Finance Support Officer
What the job description said: “To assist in payment analytics, payment statistics, bank reconciliation, and aiding in resolving payment-related system issues by liaising with the IT department, and SAP, Workday personnel.”
Industry: Corporate services
- Financial reporting
- Analytical ability
- Problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of digital tools