Wondering how to manage freelancing when you are a more mature PMET? Due to greater financial commitments, many in this age group use freelancing as a stopgap measure.
Here are four tips to help increase an older PMET’s chances of success as a freelancer until they find the full-time position they are looking for.
Tip 1: Build a solid network
- Connect and meet up with peers, potential mentors and prospective clients
- Use social media and professional networking apps
Tip 2: Recognise your value
- Identify how much you want to earn and the current market rates
- Know the costs of running your business (e.g. website hosting and software) and adjust your rates
Tip 3: Foster customer rapport
- Create a feedback form
- Leverage customer testimonials (but ask first!)
- Send thank you emails to leave a deeper impression
- Keep in touch
Tip 4: Understand the job
- Do the job scope and skills required, match your expertise?
- Note deadlines, consider your other commitments and plan ahead
- Have a kick-off meeting
- Be proactive and responsive
A summary — and for you to save and share!
Exploring new career options? Keep updated on the latest jobs on WSG Jobs and Career Advice Telegram channel!