Getting hired and job success can depend on your “fit” as much as your technical skills. Are you well-suited to the company’s culture and environment? Are there traits and values that will help form good working relationships? Finding the right-fit job will impact your work satisfaction.
Defining your “right-fit”
Define what is right for you. There are many career planning and self-assessment tools online, in bookstores and libraries to help. Consider how the following could influence your job search direction:
- Work environment and location
- Daily tasks and responsibilities
- Advancement and training opportunities
- Benefits and compensation
Want to increase your chances of nailing the job interview? Our virtual seminars can teach you effective job search strategies, enhance your personal brand, and more. Explore Career GRIT to learn more!
Narrowing your search
Use resources like associations, trade journals, and sites like wetfeet.com and vault.com to explore industries and professions. Ask people you know who work in areas of interest to sit down with you for an informational interview. Finally, start narrowing your search to specific job titles and positions.
Look for openings that are compatible with your research through:
- Employers. If there are companies you’re keen on, consider visiting the company with a resume in hand or calling in to speak to a hiring manager or Human Resources representative.
- Your network. Ask friends, relatives, teachers, former co-workers, etc about job vacancies they may know about. The more people helping to find opportunities, the better your chances for success.
- Online. Check job boards like MyCareersFuture.sg, aggregators, company websites and Facebook pages, as well as the local newspaper.
- Staffing agencies. “Test-drive” positions by taking on temporary assignments. This will help you build valuable experience, contacts and references. Not to mention, these temporary jobs could turn into permanent opportunities.
This article is contributed by Manpower Singapore.
Did you know?
A profile with an updated work experience on MyCareersFuture is 75% more likely to be noticed by employers. This is because the MyCareersFuture jobs portal allows employers to view candidates’ work experience conveniently, without even having to download individual resumes. This helps them to identify potential talents quickly.
So, if you’re looking to stand out and get noticed by more employers on MyCareersFuture, don’t forget to update your work experience on your profile!
Stay on top of your job search in just 3 steps:
- Log in to MyCareersFuture with your Singpass
- Click on your name at the top right corner, then on ‘profile’ and scroll down to ‘work experience’
- Fill up the relevant fields and add your latest work experiences. Remember to set your profile to ‘open to opportunities’.