The beginner’s guide to job-hunting
1. Know yourself
- Your work Values, Interests, Personality and Skills (VIPS)
- Possible job options that you can value-add to
- Your career goals and aspirations in the next three to five years
Reflect on what you like or dislike about your previous work and volunteer experiences
Take the free assessment on VIP24.me to discover your Values, Interests and Personality, and identify possible jobs that match your interests
Consult a professional Career Coach for an in-depth profile interpretation and analysis.
2. Know the job
Every job has its own unique set of requirements. When job seeking, check if your VIPS align with what the role needs.
- Nature of work (tasks and responsibilities)
- Skills required
- Company and team culture
- Learning opportunities
- Career advancement and progression opportunities
- Other benefits: Annual leave, childcare/eldercare leave
- Read the company’s mission, vision, culture on the corporate website
- Scroll through their corporate social media page
- Read reviews about the company through websites
- Arrange for an informational interview with someone from that industry
3. Acquire job search strategies
- Well-written resume with your latest work experiences
- Unique value proposition on why employers should hire you
- Set up a strong LinkedIn profile
- Research the job and company to tailor your resume accordingly
- Know the top five interview questions and prepare appropriate responses
4. Connect with employers
The final stage would be to connect with employers through networking and job applications.
What you need
- Tailored job applications submitted on various online job portals
- A strong network of professional contacts
- Know the online job portals in Singapore
- Register for career fairs and networking sessions
- Reactivate your professional network using LinkedIn and other social media platforms
A summary, and for you to save and share!
Looking for more tips? Download the resume and interview starter kit!