Networking is a great way to get insights into your desired company’s culture, hiring practices, business challenges and trends. You might also end up with a referral to a job opening!
How to prepare for networking?
- Be clear on your objective
- Stay informed on the industry’s upcoming events and activities
- Prepare a list of questions that you would like to ask during the networking session
- Prepare a 30-45 second pitch about yourself
- Prepare a business card with a visual resumé that summarises your qualities
- Keep your attire professional
- Greet with a firm handshake and maintain eye contact
- Listen 80% of the time, and speak 20%
- Ask open-ended questions to gain relevant information
- Be respectful of their time and keep conversations to about 10 – 15 minutes
- Thank the person and send a follow-up message
Asking the right networking questions
- What made you join the company?
- What’s your role and experience?
- What’s your company’s direction?
- What is the most challenging or exciting part of your work?
- How do you juggle your commitments while staying relevant?
- What do you look for in a candidate?