In today’s world, there is no such thing as a forever job. Here’s how mature Professionals, Managers, Executives and Technicians (PMETs) can make a successful career transition while staying competitive in the job market.
Research career options
- Shortlist potential jobs and even other career paths where your skills may be relevant
- Network; attend industry events
- Changing industries? Consider an internship or part-time job in this industry first
Manage your resources
- Anticipating taking some time before starting a new job? Check your cash cushion to ensure you have funds to support this
- Need to upskill? There are programmes that can support your return to the workforce
Learn from co-workers
- Don’t discount the lessons you can learn from younger colleagues; they may have less experience but creative ideas
- Be open, humble and respectful of your colleagues advice and experiences
Refresh how you job hunt
- Know the current dos and don’ts when applying for a job
- Send out targeted and customised job applications – don’t send the same resume to all companies
- Consult a career coach if needed
Want some guidance in making your career change? Speak to our career coaches and make your transition as smooth as possible.
A summary for you to save and share!
Read More: Career Change — How And When You Should Switch Jobs