Many people see resumes as a standard document that details all their qualifications and work experience. However, resumes, like people, come in different shapes and sizes. Picking the right resume format can help you better showcase your marketable traits and increase your application success rate. This piece will help you understand more on :
- The 2 different kinds of resume formats
- How you can choose the format that best highlights your strengths
What is in a Chronological Resume?
- A listing of your employment history, starting with the most recent position
- Fact-based content such as work experience and qualifications
- Includes past work achievements, accomplishments, awards and competencies
You should choose a Chronological Resume if…
- You have strong and relevant work experiences that highlight your career progression
- You are applying for a job in a similar field
- You have worked for well-established companies
What is in a Functional Resume?
- Your transferrable skills and attributes to showcase you are a good fit
- Relevant projects and accomplishments
- Your employment history which is highlighted nearer to the bottom
You should use a Functional Resume if…
- You have gaps in your employment history or are re-entering the workforce
- Your work history is unrelated to the job or you are looking to switch industries
- You have been in the same company for a long period of time
Picking the right resume format that emphasises your strengths can help you gain a competitive advantage over other candidates in job applications.
Looking for more resume tips? Get a free resume and interview guide today: Download our interview guide here!